Dahlya Smolash, Host of Kaleidoscope on CHUO 89.1 FM in Ottawa, passed along the following notice to CHUO volunteers:
The City of Ottawa proposes to cut 100% of funding to arts festivals in Ottawa. This will adversely effect such festivals as the Writer’s Festival, Jazz Festival, Ladyfest, and many others. Similar cuts were proposed in 2004, and were stopped by a campaign called “My Ottawa Includes Culture.” The only thing that will stop these draconian cuts is a huge public outcry to city hall.
Here is a link that will allow you to give direct feedback to the City of Ottawa about the proposed 100% cuts to festival funding. All you have to do is click, add your name, and send the form. Please pass it around.
City of Ottawa Feedback Form
Here is a link to a sample letter about the cuts, with links to city councilors. Please send emails to city councilors, and pass on the link to anyone who might wish to take action.
Link on Jessica Ruano’s Blog
“There is an opportunity to speak at City Hall (instructions attached) on Dec. 2 or 3 if you want to be part of a public delegation. To book a time, you have only to phone and make arrangements.
But the most important thing is to send letters into City Hall. Please send this message to anyone you think would act on this information. Since the budget vote will take place very soon (Dec 4 or 5), we haven’t got a moment to lose!”
- My Ottawa still includes culture! (includes more background and things you can do) and Ottawa artists hammered in proposed funding cuts by Nichole McGill (articles do not seem to be available anymore)
- Ottawa Citizen article: Arts groups join to fight city cuts to funding
Links about 2004 “My Ottawa Includes Culture Campaign” and post reactions (several sources removed due to content apparently no longer available)
- Studio 1402: “My Ottawa includes Culture”: Memories of ‘the issues, 2004
- Council for the Arts 2003-2004 Annual Report
- Budget 2005 Public Consultation – Community-led Consultations: Summary Report of All Meetings (See Section 2), and in French — Consultation publique sur le budget de 2005 – Consultations menées par la collectivité : Rapport sommaire de toutes les séances (Voir “Partie 2”)
- Rob McLennan‘s Blog: living the arts in ottawa: an open letter
(Post and links updated November 2013)